labruscagrape - [OFEX] Vinegar

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Vinegar
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:36:11 -0400

Hello All,

Does anyone have any vinegar starting culture or know where to find it?

I know that if I leave my wine long enough, exposed to air, that vinegar should start. But just as I start my wine with a selected yeast, I would like to start my vinegar with a selected vinegar culture.

Can anyone help me?

It would seem a natural fit for a wine making store to sell this, as you need to make wine before you make vinegar. So far noboby has it localy. This includes wine shops and organic food stores.

Why would anyone make vinegar? Homemade wine vinegar is supposed to taste better, it is a god use for lesser quality wine (or left overs), and a good balsamic vinegar can cost from $3 to $500.

Worth a try at a minimum.

Anyone know a local source for vinegar starter or mother of vinegar?

Later,