labruscagrape - [OFEX] Apple Rooting

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Apple Rooting
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:55:43 -0400

Hello all,

I am testing one of Wright's Recipes for rooting apples (page 312) of the 1869 book;

http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moa;cc=moa;sid=7b1d1d9359b7216be2b85ad14b2b6a05;rgn=full%20text;idno=AJQ0894.0001.001;view=image;seq=0312

Bearing of Apple-Trees.
A horticulturist in Bohemia has a beautiful
plantation of the best sort of apple-trees,
which have neither sprung from seeds nor
grafting. His plan is to take shoots from the
choicest sorts, insert then in a potato, and
plunge them into the ground, leaving but an
inch or two of the shoot above the surface.
The potato nourishes the shoot whilst it pushes
out roots, and the shoot gradually springs up
and becomes a beautiful tree, bearing the
best of fruit, without requiring to be grafted.

I took a cutting of this years new growth, gave it a "V" point, dipped it in rooting hormone, and inserted it tightly into a potato. Then I put cutting/potato combo in a pot of course damp sand. All leaves were removed except for one.

I assume the potato will keep the rooting tip evenly moist, and with luck, the potato will not die until the cutting is rooted.

I realize this is air-layering with a twist, but it may prove useful (or not).

Regards,