labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Milk spray - powdery mildew

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Milk spray - powdery mildew
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 15:07:17 -0400

Hi Biz,

You are away, but you can answer this on your return...

Your Lady apple produces spindly wood. Could this be a loss of vigor due to powdery mildew?

Since both Lady (Api) and Court Pendu Plat are both ancient Italian apples, could they both be sensitive to PM? My Court Pendu Plat will even stop new seasonal growth when PM gets bad.

Are the leaves normal on your Lady apple? Is Lady known to be PM sensitive?

Something to think about.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3001.html
Damage from powdery mildew attack results in stunted growth. The foliage becomes distorted and twig growth is reduced. Also, the fruit surface may become russetted or discolored, and dwarfed. Heavily mildewed trees are weakened, and are more susceptible to other pests and winter injury.

Later,
Tom