labruscagrape - [OFEX] pollen

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] pollen
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 08:55:21 -0400

Hello All,

I have been in a pollen sramble for the past couple of days. My Court Pendu Plat (Wise Apple) is just starting to flower and all the trees I can find are really well past, with shattering flowers.

I have a neighbor who claims their crab is still in flower and I can only hope it is. I will collect a branch today and place it in a pail of water under my tree.

Cannot wait for the other apple trees in my backyard to start flowering, especially the Lady, as it is a late bloomer too.

Are all the ancient apples late bloomers? It would make sense if they are, all coming from the same area (southern Italy, Rome area). The Wise apple got the name by blooming long after risk of frost had past.

You would think that late blooming would be a boon for Canadian apple growers. Just need to breed that trait in.

Later,