labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Lady

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Lady
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 22:01:38 -0400

Hey Tom, Part 2

Thought I should mention, to compare notes, that I opted for the more drastic white paint/thiram treatment, since the last two years had resulted in increasing jack rabbit damage since the coyotes, or other predators, have not been as plentiful in our area. Last year I had about ten to twelve trees girdled by jack rabbits between 24 to 30 inches off the ground, since they were taking advantage of the deeper snow to find their way above the tree guards. Since the predator population in our area was still determined to be lower than normal, many of us prepared for another bad year of jack rabbits. ( As opposed to the smaller rabbits which get picked off by the hawks. ) As the snow finally melted this spring, we found about double the amount of rabbit droppings from the previous winter. Lots more deer droppings, even closer to, and, all around the house. No doubt from when they were eating the cedars !

How did everyone else fare with wildlife this past winter?

Cheers, Bizmark.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>