labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Lady

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Lady
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:45:18 -0400

Hey Tom,

Last autumn I painted above the tree guards and the lower banches of all my trees with Ropell, to protect from sunscald and wildlife. ( I think that's the name. ) It's actually white latex paint that has thiram added to it, as a rodent repellent and deer deterent. It worked. Many trees alone one edge of the orchard, next to a wooded area, had the tips chewed off. Just a few tips, from a row of trees, with all the tips along the outside edge. You could still see the hoofprints as they walked along, trying to find a tree that wasn't protected. You could see the tracks then veer diagonally, through the centre of the orchard, with tips "sampled" here and there. Then the exit tracks, as they smelled the bird feeder. None of the trees had any nibbles that I could see from bunnies or voles, either. So their attempts had to have been quite minimal. On the other hand, the deer ransacked all the cedars, and many of the shrubs. Between the white paint, and the spring dormant oil treatment, budding was noticeably delayed, which helped with all the late cold spells. Now that things are growing, the paint is just flaking off, where it wasn't washed off from the spring rains.

Did you get that stupid bout of hail yesterday? It arrived after lunch, about ten minutes of pea sized hail pellets, along with driving rain.

Happy grafting.
Cheers, Bizmark.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>