labruscagrape - [OFEX] Wound 2

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Wound 2
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:42:08 -0400

Hi,

The first thing I did was to reduce the size of the canopy. With less bark, due to the girdling, there is less energy coming up and going down to the roots. Less canopy reduces the stress.

I removed large branches, as removing large branches lowers the response of suckers. Lots of cuts, lots of suckers. If any fruit forms this season I will remove that too.

The tree had 6 main scaffold branches and I removed 1/3rd of them (2 branches). I always felt this tree had too many branches anyway. This is a standard tree and will be trained to the umbrella form.

Picture attached of canopy.

Later,