labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Ancient Apples

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Ancient Apples
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:48:01 -0400

Hi,

These are instructional, ancient texts. It is amazing how much they already knew then. They talk about most all crops (grapes, olives, apples, etc), equipment, and practices.

I have mentioned this a couple of times, but Cato wrote (he wote about 200 years before Christ) on how to graft. He is very specific with what to wrap the graft union with (greek willow bark). We know today that willow is loaded with auxin, which inspires a callous, which helps healing. They did not know why willow bark worked best, but they knew it 2,500 years ago. In an era before grafting rubbers, they had the answer.

The two ancient apple captures I have are Court Pendu Plat, and Api (Lady, Appian). More research is needed.

You can read parts of Pliny online here (fruit trees);
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/holland/pliny15.html#b45a

You can read Cato online here;
http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010121cato/catofarmtext.htm

Columella is not online yet, but can be purchased as part of the Loeb Classical Library. I use Powells online bookstore as they often sell used copies. http://www.powells.com/s?kw=columella&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Now on a related issue... (stinking like sulfur)

I telephoned these people and told them I would like to buy a single Tyvek disposable protective suit, to see how it performed in apple spraying. They offered to send me a suit a suit as a free sample;

http://www.protective-clothing.net/ProductCart/pc/
viewPrd.asp?idcategory=136&idproduct=528

Try as I might, I could not refuse the price. Although disposable, they can be used until torn. I got the one with a hood, and elastic cuffs.

I find sulfur is much like the pig barn. Wash as many times as you like, but days later, just rubbing your nose brings back the smell.

Later,

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.