labruscagrape - [OFEX] Garaged Emptied

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Garaged Emptied
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:40:30 -0500

Hello All,

Well I took all my garage, cold storage pots out of the garage yesterday and sprayed them with sulfur.

I put the pots up on our porch, against the west facing brick wall. That wall should keep the plants above zero at night, but be cooler than the garage. The floor of that porch is the concrete roof to our cold cellar, so it leaks/stores a couple degrees of heat, and that is all I need to protect from repeated root freezing at this time of year.

I saw some of the apple rootstocks starting to push leaves in the garage, so they needed the temperature reduction.

I am very excited to collect the Lady apple from Biz. That makes two captures of ancient Roman apples. Only three more to go. (Annurca, Decio, Limoncella)

I find it interesting that all these ancient apples are small, flat apples. I also wonder if they are all not close cousins.

A MILLIOM thanks Biz for the scions.

Later,