labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] powdery mildew

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] powdery mildew
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:06:06 -0500

Last year we were in New Zealand for the weeks appropriate for spraying dormant oil and powdery mildew prevention. So, we just crossed our fngers and waited. There was little mildew until August, and I let it ride as it wasn't developing enough to warrant a separate treatment. Our worst pest was an invasion of rose chafers. Spent the better part of two days out there wearing a succession of surgical gloves - squishing. The goal was to prevent the eggs from falling into the grass and overwintering. Rather than bringing in heavy duty spray that would kill them and all the hungry ladybugs, I decided to end their dating and mating careers. We also experienced leafrollers, but a morning stroll with a pair of shears, and some garlic spray took care of them. All things considered, we were fairly well off from pests and diseases. Even the deer behaved after a spraying of Plantskydd - wonderful, wonderful stuff.

My apple growing neighbour did offer me one piece of advice for spring spraying. Saturate everything, till you see the liquid running down the branches. That way you have a high degree of assurance that it's getting into all the nooks and crannies. Folks tend to underspray, or just spray too haphazardly.

Hope this helps. Would love to hear what products folks are using. We just went with the Wilson's products two years ago, and things cruised along rather well. Since taking the Pesticide Course last fall, I now know about some really heavy duty things, but forget letting animals or people into the orchard for several days.

I'll be absent for the next two plus weeks for March break, but will try and check in periodically with the slow speed service in the Creemore countryside.

Cheers, Bizmark
Creemore, Ontario Z5