internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <jmarkturner AT gmail.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:13:07 -0400

It got amended to exclude the four operating municipal systems and changed the threshold that a city could use to start service from 90% broadband penetration to 50%. In essence, the bill was stripped of two things TWC wanted most.

It will be back at Wednesday's Finance meeting where there will be public commentary. My POV article will run in Tuesday's N&O and there are indications legislators are coming around, so I believe on Wednesday we will be in better shape.

We'll see how much of this the industry wants to salvage. I expect some surprises Wednesday. Today, though, went much better than anticipated!

WRAL streamed the whole meeting and it can be watched here:
http://www.wral.com/news/state/nccapitol/video/9283673/#/vid9283673

Mark