internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <jmarkturner AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:43:21 -0400

On 03/17/2011 10:18 AM, Matt Drew wrote:

I'm opposed to municipal broadband, but I'm even more opposed to TWC
using the state government to tell the cities what they can and can't
do.

I totally agree, Matt. While I sure would like to have the 10 Mbps symmetrical Internet that Wilson has, it's up to each individual community to decide that - not the state and certainly NOT TWC's lobbyists.

In Raleigh's case I know a muni broadband system would face opposition from city leaders and others. I have a good rapport with Raleigh's leaders and still I have no realistic expectation that Raleigh will implement a system like Wilson's in the near future. That said, I certainly am angry that TWC would try to take that possibility away, however remote that possibility may be.

We did some real damage to the bill today and significantly weakened it with amendments. I'm hoping we can finish it off at the upcoming Finance meeting on Wednesday.

For anyone interested, WRAL's Laura Leslie live-streamed the meeting in its entirety. You can watch it here:

http://www.wral.com/news/video/9283673/#/vid9283673

Mark