internetworkers - [internetworkers] To Shut Machine Down.. Or to Leave Machine Up...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] To Shut Machine Down.. Or to Leave Machine Up...
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 17:30:53 -0500

Hi Folks,

I have been leaving my home machines and my work machines up overnight for
years with no ill effects. We have some staff members who are shutting their
machines down every night just because someone told them to do this years
ago. Most of these staff members are Attorneys, and waiting for their
machines to come up is a real annoyance for them. My advice to them has been
to leave them up. If the machine starts acting oddly, then restart it.
Otherwise, leave it up.

I can’t see any problems that leaving a machine on continuously could cause
that a restart would not correct, other than the wear and tear of running
continuously.

Is there anything that I am overlooking? These are state machines, so no one
is running any nonstate-sanctioned software.

Thanks!

Colleen