internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wiping a Hard Drive; Backup Options

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott <scott AT frak.ms>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wiping a Hard Drive; Backup Options
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:29:33 -0400

On Aug 28, 2010, at 4:57 PM, <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com> <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com>
wrote:
> I want to give a PC to someone, but want to wipe everything off the hard
> drive before I do it. I think that the Norton Ghost product can do this
> and also offers a backup option.

Find a book CD with DBAN on it. You book to it, select the hard drive you
want to wipe, and then how many times you want to wipe it. Easy and reliable.

> Have any of you used this product for either/both of these tasks? For the
> backup option, will it backup and relatively effortlessly restore my
> Outlook folders?

For Windows uses I would suggest the built in Windows 7 backups. You could
easily back up your files to an external USB hard drive using the Windows 7
backup feature. It's configurable so that if needed you can select the folder
where your outlook .pst files are and ensure it gets backed up.

--
Scott