internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wiping a Hard Drive; Backup Options

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: John Broome <jbroome AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wiping a Hard Drive; Backup Options
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:01:58 -0400

On Aug 28, 2010, at 16:57, <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a few questions on erasing a hard drive and backing up everything on
> my machines.
>
> I want to give a PC to someone, but want to wipe everything off the hard
> drive before I do it. I think that the Norton Ghost product can do this
> and also offers a backup option.
>
> Have any of you used this product for either/both of these tasks? For the
> backup option, will it backup and relatively effortlessly restore my
> Outlook folders?

For wiping the drive, google around for a live CD with DBAN on it. You
boot the CD, pick a level of wipe you want and it will clean the
drive.

Ghost is more of an cloning product instead of a backup "oops I
deleted that message let me restore it" kinda thing.

I'm (blissfully) out of touch on windows backup software but I'm
pretty sure you're not wanting to clone your drive every night.

A weekly clone along with a daily file-level incremental might be nice though.