internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Health insurance: HSA vs. PPO plans?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Karches <tkarches AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Health insurance: HSA vs. PPO plans?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:59:04 -0400

Before I came to work at NCSU, I was self-employed, and an HAS was my
only affordable option.. Other than an instance where treatment of a
specific condition was not covered, I thought it was great. Doctors
will sometimes take less if you pay in cash. Sometimes you can shop
for the best deal.

One year, my knee went out on me and I hit the $5,000 deductable.
Everything after that was covered. Real insurance, not the current
mumbo jumbo plans.

Currently, as an NCSU employee, I am with the State Health Plan. The
coverage is so-so, prescription benefits are terrible, and I pay
almost $500/month out of pocket to cover my family. And rates are
going up. Yes, you've struck a nerve.

If anyone knows any good health insurance agents, I'd appreciate their
name/number.

Cheers,
Tom

On 3/16/10, Greg Goddard <ggoddard AT gmail.com> wrote:
> How are you folks dealing with BCBS raising their rates in NC?
>
> I'm really interested in hearing from anyone that meets the following
> criteria:
>
> 1) is self-employed or a small-business owner and not using BCBS (if
> you're not using BCBS, where do you get your coverage?)
> 2) anyone that is currently on a PPO plan that is looking to make the
> switch to an HSA plan in order to reduce premiums
>
> Thanks, -g

Sent from my mobile device

Tom Karches
tkarches AT gmail.com