internetworkers - [internetworkers] Internet sales tax? Good accountant?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Linda Watson <linda.watson AT cookforgood.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Internet sales tax? Good accountant?
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:02:41 -0400

Greetings, Internetworkers -- I've been an InternetLurker for several years, but some of you may remember me from my eGarden days.

Two questions:

1) Anybody know a good, internet-savvy accountant?

2) Has anyone figured out how to continue to keep affiliate relationships now that NC has passed the internet sales tax?

I was just to the stage with Cook for Good where I was looking forward to a nice stream of commissions from Amazon.com and various cookware sites when this law passed. It's like working for two years to create a magazine and then being told that anyone who buys an ad must pay state sales tax for all their sales in the state, including unrelated sales. I've looked into reincorporating in another state but am not sure this would help, since I'd still have a "nexus" here with my home office.

I don't mind paying taxes, but I do mind having an entire income stream suddenly become unavailable. I'm hoping to publish a book in the near future and to have the Amazon sales made unavailable really burns my biscuits. My state representative told me to just find an alternative to Amazon that does pay NC sales taxes. And to just kiss those Amazon (and Commission Junction, etc.) sales goodbye.

Have a delicious day!
 ... Linda

--
Linda Watson