internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] DVD Player Recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com>, InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] DVD Player Recommendations
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:15:30 -0400

If you are not watching on an HD set, I'm not sure if there is much of a
difference anymore. With most every SD DVD player now featuring
up-conversion, only bottom of the barrel players will be set up for SD only.
A name brand up-converting player from a big name like Sony is only about
$70, while a no name player is about $30.

Personally, I bought Sony players before I went to HD (I moved to a PS3 for
Blu-ray and Toshiba for HD DVD), for no other reason than I had a Sony SD
TV. I had one player break after about four years, and at the price they
were, I just considered it disposable.

If you don't use a universal remote, it may be easier to control the DVD
player and TV if they are from the same brand, but not always, if one is
much older than the other.

If you enjoy movies, save up for a HD TV, the improvement was well worth it
for me. I assume an LCD TV uses less electricity than a similar sized CRT
TV, so do it for the environment ;-)

David