internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Time Warner to meter users' Internet traffic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Time Warner to meter users' Internet traffic
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 10:28:22 -0400

On Apr 4, 2009, at 10:12 AM, John Broome wrote:

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 6:45 AM, Jeanne Moyer <jeanne.moyer AT gmail.com> wrote:
Earthlink is TW under the covers. They charge a bit less but use the same
lines. I bounce back and forth between the two for support when I have an
issue. Earthlink is the old Mindspring that acquired Nando.net. I've had
them as an ISP for more than a dozen years. Am so frustrated with my service
in this past year.

Is DSL really more reliable and consistently faster?

I've never heard anyone suggest that dsl is more reliable and
definitely not faster than cable.

The whole reason I switched to cable modem years ago was because of the poor performance, 12-month contracts, and hellish installation process of various DSL providers. Basically, unless you *are* the phone company, they will sit on any requests until the last possible minute and then most likely turn up the wrong circuit. AT&T/BellSouth thus make their DSL install process look fabulous by comparison, because they are provisioning their own lines and keeping all the money. You're still stuck with the lame DSL performance and historically higher prices, however.

Looks like the cable modem morons are giving me good reason to start investigating other connectivity options. So, is there really any competition in this market? Because I'm not seeing it.