internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Time Warner to meter users' Internet traffic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Time Warner to meter users' Internet traffic
  • Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 16:31:21 -0400

Greg Brown wrote:
7.25 hours of online video a week (a fraction of the 60 hours Americans
spend watching TV in a week) could end up spending $200 per month on
broadband usage fees.

I searched a little and found that there are some tools you
can use to see how much bandwidth you use. I wondered about
doing this, but I don't think it would be practical for us.
Having something on the router sounds like a better idea.

I tested my TWC link and it is 850kb/sec download. From what
I understand, that means I can download full speed for 13 hours
straight until I run up against the limit of 40gb. My math may
be off, but that sounds like a good bit of throughput.

Can anyone give any practical examples of how much bandwidth
different types of users use in a month? They say they will have
5,10,20, and 40 gb/month caps. I have no gut feeling about how
much this is.
What does an average family use in a month now?
What does a typical VPN user use?

I really don't care about the video downloading since there are
a lot of other ways to get video content through the cable TV,
NetFlix, etc. I don't watch movies anyway.

--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.