internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] cell phone repeater recommendations?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ron Thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] cell phone repeater recommendations?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:25:20 -0500

As a possible alternative, I understand that AT&T is kicking off a new device/service, called 'femtocell' that might fit the need. Basically, it's a device that acts as a tiny cell base station in your home. Uplink is through your existing internet connection. This in contrast to the device you cited, which is a radio booster/repeater, so there wouldn't be the need to mount and wire an external antenna.

I haven't seen a pricing release, but I'd expect a $100 or thereabouts device cost and maybe a small ($0-10) monthly fee.

You register your handsets with the device, it only connects those registered and only something like four handsets total. This limitation could rule it out for your friend's case. The device does provides 3G level connections to your handsets.

--rt

Scott Lundgren wrote:
My friend has a business in downtown Nashville in which it is near impossible to get a cell phone signal. Their current provider is AT&T, can anyone recommend a device? They found this on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875997033

But they're concerned it's a consumer device rather than for a small business.