internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] site-built shed

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] site-built shed
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:06:57 -0400

Hello David,

We had a very decent 8x12' shed built in 2005. It was made by Heartland, a manufacturer that used to be on Glenwood in Raleigh. We bought our shed through Lowes. It cost a bit under $3K. However, I just did a search and I don't see that company anymore. I found 3-4 other shed manufacturers though, and some of their products look the same.

We had to have the site graded and some underlayment put down first. This required paying a contractor with a small tractor to come in. Unfortunately it rained heavily the day before and the tractor left deep grooves in our lawn, but you takes your chances.

Even with that, the site turned out to be far from level. When the second contractor arrived to build the shed, he sent me off to buy concrete blocks to even things up. So if you're not sure the ground is level, you'll need to collect several blocks in different widths to even it up. We wound up with one corner on the ground, and one of them up about two feet. The other two were in between.

The shed arrived unpainted because we wanted to paint it to match our house. The prefab wood grained boards drank up a lot of paint. We put two coats of gloss white paint on the interior floor, but floor tile would have been a good alternative. Potentially easier to install too.

Depending on where you live, your lot may have setback requirements that limit the shed's location. We had just one decent location in our backyard that didn't require removing large trees.

I can send you some digital photos that we took if you're interested. Send direct email if so.

Good luck on your project!

Scott C.

David Matusiak wrote:
Hello,

Has anyone had a site-built shed... well, *built* for them recently? I've gotten a few good recommendations for Home Depot in Mebane (yes, location specific), but not for any other company. Any recommendations?

I need something small, maybe 8' x 10' or 8' x 12' but since the ground is not perfect it will require a bit of thinking. Otherwise I'd buy one of those Rubbermaid plastic boxes and drop it in place. How about material recommendations? Wood? Metal? Plastic?

Thanks!
David