internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Are You Registered To Vote At YourCurrentAddress? Register Online!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Are You Registered To Vote At YourCurrentAddress? Register Online!
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 00:38:43 -0400

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Paul Cory <paulcory AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Of interest to the topic of this conversation:
>
> http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/6/9488/29311/996/563441

And, thankfully enough, NC does not have this silly law that MO has.
In NC you are only required to show ID when you register to vote. The
only time you are required to show ID when you vote is if you registered
by mail and did not show ID when you registered, and then you only need
to show ID the first time you vote and you're good after that.

In all of our election training it is emphasized that we are supposed to
be making things easy for the voter. If there is any sort of problem
where they cannot go through the normal process of voting (i.e. their
name isn't in the voter rolls for that precinct), we are instructed to be
as nice as we can to them and let them vote a provisional ballot.

Reading that story above just makes me sick to my stomach. Those
election officials in MO should be ASHAMED of themselves. Their
function is NOT to prevent people from voting. It is to allow people to
vote. They need to get their collective heads out of their rear ends
and learn their own laws. And their BoE chairwoman should be
ashamed that they are so badly trained. Thank goodness I live in
NC and don't have to deal with that stuff.

Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace
http://wtl.wayfarer.org/