internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] what technology would you use to organize a school?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] what technology would you use to organize a school?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:29:30 -0400

Seems like you are looking for tools for a number of different functions, and it seems like you want a distributed service as opposed to desktop software. You may end up pulling together an array of different tools to do different things.

For just organizational stuff, GoogleDocs and the 37 Signals tools are both fairly easy and accessible. These folks (friends/clients of mine) have a lot of business-information functions in one package (but don't present it terribly well so far): http://bizamajig.com/

For curriculum/teaching stuff, Digital Chalk (based here in Asheville, not clients) is a lot cheaper easier to use than BlackBoard. http://digitalchalk.com/

TaB

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
It looks like my wife and I will be among the parents starting a new small private school, and I'm trying to figure out what software to recommend to organize it. Its a real school in the sense there will be paid teachers, actual classrooms, etc., but without the overhead of non-teaching positions. I think we need something to help organize the calendar, volunteer to do lists, mailing lists, lesson plans, etc., but it has to be something non-technical people can use, and I certainly don't want to be editing web pages.
Suggestions? Wiki? Some sort of CMS?
Thanks!

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC | 919-619-0607