internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] what technology would you use to organize a school?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Childers.Paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] what technology would you use to organize a school?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:05:04 -0400

A basic wiki seems easiest and fastest to me. MediaWiki is solid and
known, plus the kids could use it to learn how Wikipedia works.

When you get into CMSes, there's an ongoing requirement of someone with
technical skills to maintain it. If you intend to always be around to do
it, that's one thing, but if you prefer to be able to pass it off to
another in the future, I'd steer away unless you find a pressing need
that a wiki just cannot fill. Plus, you can always implement a blog
and/or calendar independently of the wiki, if that specific function is
needed, and still be within "minimal skills required for maintenance"
territory.

However, if you want to actually USE the software in the classrooms
(virtual classes, remote testing, etc), then check out Moodle, or maybe
Joomla.

Just my 2 cents.
Paula

internetworkers-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote on 07/31/2008 01:48:44
PM: