internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] High Speed Internet Alternatives to TWC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] High Speed Internet Alternatives to TWC
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:03:49 -0400

C Sullivan wrote:
Hello,
I am searching for recommendations on alternatives that folks are happy with for High Speed Internet access besides Time Warner.
thanks!

I second the recommendation for Earthlink Cable.

OTOH, I'd run screaming from Earthlink's DSL, at least when it's over AT&T/Bellsouth equipment.

Our DSL connection's quality nosedived last year after working fine for six years. Coincidentally, it was right after our next door neighbor's phone service was connected. I made several attempts to get Earthlink's tech support to escalate it to Bellsouth, and they consistently responded by saying that "Bellsouth says the connection is fine". I'm talking at least ten hours of mindlessly repeated conversations and tests. There is no "next tier up" anymore, just mindless drones.

Taking a laptop & DSL modem outside to the NID, and demonstrating that over 50% of pings to *anywhere* were being dropped was not considered to be sufficient proof. I even used different modems & network cables.

I had to give up my static IP, but the cable service is faster and cheaper. You need to fake out the cable modem by using the "clone MAC" feature of your broadband router once the installer leaves. It tries to ensure that it stays connected to the original NIC. But after that it all works.

Scott C.