internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Lawn Sprinkler Maintenance

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Lawn Sprinkler Maintenance
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 15:04:48 -0400

On 11/1/07, Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net> wrote:
> I've got a sprinkler system and I'm in Durham city limits. I've never
> heard of being fined for not "un hooking" the sprinkler system. Do you
> have more details?

http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/wm/cross.cfm

It's the Durham City "Cross-Connection Control Program"

To quote from the web page:

"Federal law requires the City of Durham to protect the water
supply from potential contamination or pollution. Contamination
can occur when a water supply line to a customer is connected
to equipment containing a substance not fit for drinking. These
connections are called cross-connections. In order to prevent
contamination of supply lines from these cross-connections,
the City has developed and implemented an ordinance which
requires all industrial, commercial, and irrigation customers
to obtain a permit and install backflow prevention assemblies."

[...]

"After an approved backflow prevention assembly has been
installed and tested, it must be re-tested annually by individuals
who have been certified by an approved testing school. The City
maintains a list of qualified testers that is available to all customers."

That list can be found at
http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/wm/pdf/cert_testers.pdf

The penalties for failing to follow this ordinance (in our case, because we
hadn't unhooked the sprinkler and had it tested by an approved tester) are
found in the ordinance:
(http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/wm/pdf/cccord.pdf )

"Civil Penalty
(1) Violation of any provision of this article may subject the offender to a
civil penalty to be recovered by the City in a civil action in the nature of
debt if the offender does not pay the penalty within thirty (30) days after
the assessment has become final by exhaustion of the appeal process
established by this section, or by failure to appeal the assessment.

The civil penalty for violation of any provision of this Cross-Connection
Control Article shall not exceed $250 per day for each day of continuous
violation, or a cumulative or single civil penalty of $5,000. The civil
penalty
for willful violation of any provision of this article shall not exceed $500
per
day for each day of a continuous violation or a cumulative or single civil
penalty of $10,000."

So, that's why we're looking for someone else to take care of this.

Is there really no one on the list who has anything to say other than
poking fun (Hi Tarus! :) or asking for references to what I'm talking about?

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace