internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Lawn Sprinkler Maintenance

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott" <catfather AT donpoo.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Lawn Sprinkler Maintenance
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 14:42:05 -0400

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 12:36:05 -0400, "Tanner Lovelace"
<clubjuggler AT gmail.com> said:
> Hi folks,
>
> When we moved into our house in 2002, the company that installed our
> in-ground sprinkler system said they could maintain it for a yearly
> fee. Not knowing any better we signed up. Unfortunately, they
> consistently failed to unhook it at the proper time and submit the
> appropriate paperwork with the City of Durham so that the city didn't
> want to fine us thousands of dollars!

I've got a sprinkler system and I'm in Durham city limits. I've never
heard of being fined for not "un hooking" the sprinkler system. Do you
have more details?

> So, does anyone have any suggestions for a company to do this service?
> We don't really want lawn care, since we do that ourselves. Any
> suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm with you on the lawn care thing however maintaining the sprinkler
system is dead easy. There are two things you need to know:

1) Where the main water valve is. Usually in the ground somewhere near a
cement pad on the front of your property. This is a separate valve
than the main water valve for the house, which is usually in the the
house utility closet or garage.

2) Where the backflow valve is. This is the set of funky pipes that
comes up out of the ground then goes back in. Usually hidden behind
some landscaping.

Once you know this, the rules are simple. If it gets cold (In the low
30s) it's time to winterize.

1) Turn off the main water valve to the sprinkler system

2) Open up the relief valves on the backflow to release the pressure.
This is done with a flat blade screw driver.

3) Get a beer.

If your system was properly installed then the pipes are about 18" into
the ground. That should be below the frost line and prevent water in the
pipes from freezing. The big thing to worry about is the water pressure
in the backflow valve (the above ground pipes) and the heads. If you
release pressure as described the system should drain sufficiently
enough not to damage the sprinkler heads. Some people go further and run
compressed air through the pipes to blow out all the water. In this area
I don't think it's cold enough long enough to justify it.

For several years I actually disconnected the backflow valve from the
ground pipes (usually large hand-turn knobs at ground level make it
easy) and stored it in the garage. The last two years I didn't
bother. I just left the valves open so and left it connected. No
damage in the spring.

Hope this helps.

--
Scott <bluecamel AT imap.cc>