internetworkers - [internetworkers] Triangle Last-Mile Cooperative

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Magnus <magnus AT trilug.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Triangle Last-Mile Cooperative
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:50:13 -0400

So I wanted to take an interesting bit of the HB 1587 debate and spin it
off to a new, hopefully constructive, thread.

"If you build it, they will come."

So how do we establish a true high-speed last mile network in the cities
and towns of our region? What are the legal hurdles to making this happen?

If a cooperative can deliver 100Mbps (or more) bandwidth to the curb,
and provide a level playing field for ISP's to peer to, it could be very
empowering for the consumer and create opportunities for startups in the
area as well.

It's an idea I've always been infatuated with, but I really wouldn't
know where to begin with the concept of running fiber potentially to
every house in Raleigh (for example) without being a government funded
project (ewww) or in the back pocket of Time-Warner or one of the other
utility monopolies in the region.