internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] subways into New York

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: geschwin AT email.unc.edu
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] subways into New York
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 16:30:46 -0400

I will second the recommendation for JetBlue & JFK. Last month I flew from Africa to RDU and back via JFK and used JetBlue for the JFK <-> RDU portion. Although I found the JetBlue terminal at JFK rather crowded and mediocre, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and convenient it was to get around the airport using SkyTrain, considering the size of JFK (in particular compared to the nightmare that is CDG!). And AirTrain does connect directly to the NY subway, although I did not try that myself.

Now, JetBlue uses practically brand new Embraer 190's in the JFK-RDU route. These larger Embraer jets are much nicer and more spacious than a typical regional jet, which you very well could get stuck with with other airlines. Unlike those regional jets these larger Embraer jets even have overhead bins large enough to accomodate a typical roll-on bag, although compared to a mainline jet (for example a 737 or Airbus) the overhead bins are still a bit small. And at least for the time being JetBlue is advertising "the most legroom in coach" (or something to that tune), which for taller people like myself (6'2") makes all the difference in the world as far as comfort is concerned. Plus, the inflight entertainment system in every seat on JetBlue does have a certain geek appeal that the other airlines are lacking.

Regardless of what airline and airport you end up choosing, I wish you a great trip!

- Bill

Quoting Mark Turner <markt AT siteseers.net>:

On the other hand, I've always wanted to fly JetBlue to JFK. Now that
they're putting WiFi on their planes, I think I have a new favorite airline!

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/wireless/jetblue-to-get-internet-access-178085.php