internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] security goons at TigerDirect in Raleigh: "No, thanks!"

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Magnus <magnus AT trilug.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] security goons at TigerDirect in Raleigh: "No, thanks!"
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 20:34:01 -0400

Greg Brown wrote:
> wait a minute, last time I was at Best Buy they had ppl checking out the
> recepits on the way out. When were they supposed to have dropped thier
> policy.

This was a couple of years ago.

If they are doing it again, I highly suggest just walking right on by
and saying "No, thank you" as you go.

They *say* they are doing it to make sure you didn't get overcharged for
your purchase (as if they would know). Really they do that to prevent a
common shoplifting scam where you can walk right out with something you
stole but have a recent receipt for. If the receipt is marked then the
door checker knows you've already exited the store once with that
receipt and are probably stealing. But they don't tell you that.

The law is on your side. There is nothing that compels you to comply
with their store policy. You can even be rude about it if you want to,
but I prefer to kill them with sunshine and good manners as I walk on by.