internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] security goons at TigerDirect in Raleigh: "No, thanks!"

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Greg Brown" <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] security goons at TigerDirect in Raleigh: "No, thanks!"
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 20:27:13 -0400

wait a minute, last time I was at Best Buy they had ppl checking out the recepits on the way out.  When were they supposed to have dropped thier policy.

Also Sam's Club is horrible about this.

On 5/31/07, Magnus <magnus AT trilug.org> wrote:
Shea Tisdale wrote:
> This tactic of treating normal customers as potential thieves until proven
> otherwise is affectionately referred to as "The Final Indignity" by many
> shoppers of the Fry's chain.
>
> I've always thought they had no right either.

I actually picked up the tip from Dave Champion, host of the American
Radio broadcast at http://americanradioshow.us/

It's mostly a political podcast, unaffiliated with any party but with a
distinctively libertarian/constitutionalist tone.

He had given this advice to his listeners some time ago and as a direct
result of this, a listener had a confrontation with Best Buy and the
police resulting in Best Buy dropping their security goon bag checker
policy.  Unlike my confrontation, this poor fellow was physically
detained until the police arrived.  The police ended up scratching their
heads, calling for help up the chain of command, and finally advising
the Best Buy manager that HE, not the SHOPPER, was in the wrong.  Rather
than press charges against the manager, the fellow pushed this issue
with Best Buy corporate management and eventually killed their bad
anti-customer security policy.

If Fry's is really that bad, their customers should do the same thing.
---
Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!   http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/