internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] MediaWiki training

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver AT buni.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] MediaWiki training
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:08:46 -0400

why not play with wikipedia.org a bit? Look over their policies, procedures. Correct some errors or a few articles. Or go to conservapedia.org which is more sparse and do the same (probably not a model for editing policy or procedure). Installation/configuration isn't really that hard. I actually found that other than dealing with RHEL's PHP version issues that Mediawiki was one of the easiest pieces of sever side software that I configured/installed. Probably more there is X and Y which you want it to do.
I doubt there is any training for mediawiki yet. That would be a
good suggestion for wikia (the commercial arm of wikipedia). You
might also jump in to the #mediawiki channel on IRC (irc.freenode.net).

Lastly you might consider contacting Sergey at gt AT gettemplate.com. He did most of our (buni.org) skinning/etc which was largely
mediawiki/php based. His rates are really good and electronic
payment options nice.
-Andy

Deborah Ellington wrote:
I'm trying to get a wiki for software docs, based on mediawiki, up and running for my job. I've worked with other PHP and MySQL-based CMSes so installation was no problem, but I'm struggling with configuration. Also think I just need to understand it conceptually a little better before we start really throwing content in there.

I think it would help me move forward a lot faster if I could just go take a class for a day or two, rather than trying to work this in around all my other job duties. But even after some googling, I can't seem to find anything that looks useful.

Any ideas? I can travel to anywhere in the US, although closer to NC would be nice.

Deborah Ellington
http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/