internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] whiners

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver AT buni.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] whiners
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 16:28:19 -0700

BTW I think any organization needs some equivalent of this: http://www.jwz.org/gruntle/rbarip.html

and once HR shuts it down or complains that someone used the "f word" then it is a clue to the clueful to move on and a clue to the recruiters that hiring will now take place via HR and recruiters ;-)

One man's whining is another man's constructive criticism. However the most fun and most building are often the useless rants. It does require enough maturity on the part of the reader to not take it personally or seriously when their sacred cow is vivisected in front of the whole company and its user experience compared to sitting on a Japanese toilet with the pressure turned on maximum (http://linuxintegrators.com/acoliver/travel/2005/09/08/x-0065.html). A good rant is an art-form worth appreciating. Some have meaty informational content (like WTF do we distribute with a cluster configuration that always crashes the server with Out of memory exception on even the most pristine network) others are all on style and short on non-fecal substance. However the sufficiently intelligent and self-actualized person can read them with enough emotional Kevlar on to not be negatively impacted :-)

-Andy The Whiner

Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
My three year old can out-whine your friends cats any day. That's why I rent an office. The only problem is the folks in the office next door who pee on the toilet (and other parts of the bathroom). I know it is them because it only started once they moved in... Of course my three year old...

esther-l AT mailsnare.net wrote:
I don't experience this, because I cannot work from home at my job.

However, a friend who works at a home office has cats. 2-3 hours before feeding time in
the evening there's a lot of whiny meowing from fat cats - "I am starving, feed
me". sometimes it is operatic. I understand it can be more annoying than a
neighbor operating a leaf blower.

It's very important to have a door on your home office.
Esther