internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] replace telephone system -- suggestions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jason Tower <jtower AT cerient.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] replace telephone system -- suggestions
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:01:18 -0400

no question that voip is the way to go, conventional PBXs are hardly ever used for new installations these days. i'd strongly suggest looking at an asterisk based system using conventional sip phones. it's powerful, flexible, reliable, relatively inexpensive, and totally open source.

full disclaimer: my company provides turn-key asterisk setups (as well as many other linux-based solutions). ping me offline if you'd want to talk.

Joel Elliott wrote:
Hello all: I'm just starting to research options to replace our aging
telephone system. Looking for a solution that would support ca. 75
extensions.
I'm *really* at the beginning stages here, so have no idea whether I
want a "conventional" or VOIP solution (terminology?!), lease or
purchase, etc.
Thanks for any experiences or suggestions you might have about vendors,
solutions, etc. I would be happy to keep anyone updated on our final
decision and/or summarize information I receive. Please reply directly
to me -- unless you think the list might benefit from your information.

// Joel