internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Windows Vista buying experience

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Cristóbal Palmer" <cristobalpalmer AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Windows Vista buying experience
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 15:51:42 -0500

On 2/6/07, Andrew C. Oliver <acoliver AT buni.org> wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_editions_and_pricing

I have a better idea: http://www.ubuntu.com/

Let me know (personally or on the list) if you (dear reader, whoever
you might be) have any trouble burning an iso and installing it. Or
heck, contact me and I'll burn you one myself.[0]

Feisty (7.04) comes out in April. You can see their plans for Feisty here:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/feisty

Edgy (6.10) doesn't have fancy window decorations like "Aero Glass" by
default, but Beryl--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_(window_manager)

--is available for users with certain video cards (note that the same
is true for Vista--just because you pay for the fancy OS doesn't mean
your hardware supports the fancy features), and besides... Ubuntu has
a sticker price of $0.

Suggestions of other FLOSS OS options welcome.

-CMP

[0] Some restrictions apply, not available in all localities.

--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student -- ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer