internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Paying people to share music

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Paying people to share music
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:03:40 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:

http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/2006/11/when_zune_micro.html

Apparently Microsoft is thinking of putting in financial incentives
for Zune owners to get their friends to listen to new music. Instead
of the normal radio-station payola, music labels could pay Microsoft
to have an army of Zune owners to pedal the songs to their friends...

"...the Zune's sole wireless feature is "squirting" -- I know, I know, it's Microsoft's term, not mine -- music and pictures to any other Zune device within direct Wi-Fi range. Even if the track is inherently free (like a podcast) the Zune wraps it in a DRM scheme that causes the track to self-destruct after three days or three plays, whichever comes first.

After that, it's nothing more than a bookmark for purchasing the track in the Zune Marketplace. It amounts to nothing more than free advertising. "

Truly a "the first taste is free" model.

Source: http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/147048,CST-FIN-Andy23.article