internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Adding Memory: How Much; Searching Windows for Folders

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael Kimsal" <mgkimsal AT gmail.com>
  • To: cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Adding Memory: How Much; Searching Windows for Folders
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:53:28 -0400

I do web development, althought not much in the way of graphic design (tho I did do one graphic-intensive site recently).  My laptop has 512 meg, but 128 are used for video by default, giving me 384.  I thought I'd need to put more in, but even with 'only' 384, I don't have too much problem.  I'm planning to take the RAM from the older laptop and add it in, but haven't got around to it yet.  If your budget is tight, 512 should be fine for most work.  If you've got the extra $30-$40 (whatever the diff is) 768 would be nice to run at.

Most of the benefit comes from being able to run more simultaneous apps.  If you're primarily a single tasker, more RAM probably won't help too much.  I used to have openoffice, gimp, mp3 player, 2-3 web browsers, and editors open at the same time, which needed a lot of RAM.  I realized I wasn't getting as much done as when I single-tasked, so I'm now able to get by with 384 much better than I thought I would.