internetworkers - [internetworkers] Auto Servicing for My 97 Honda

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Susan LaBarre" <idodesign AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Auto Servicing for My 97 Honda
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:14:05 -0400

Tried to find list archives on the Internetworkers website because I'm sure this question has been posted and answered more than once... but no archives were in evidence. Anyway...

I've been getting my '97 Honda serviced at Tech Auto (it's undergone 4 defunct locations and 3 name changes) but now it's just too far (Durham) and too funky for me to plunk myself in their disgusting waiting room for several hours while they replace my timing belt and other major 100k mile servicing. It used to be okay when I worked in the park and got a ride to work and a lift back to the place (or I waited 20 minutes for an oil change)... but I telecommute now and would be forced to wait there for at least a half day with no other place around to hang out. If I'm going to plunk down $500+ for maintenance and a half a day of my time, I want a decent waiting room or at least a nearby coffee shop, shopping center, or hotel lobby.

I live in Raleigh near Lake Johnson and would like to find a closer place to bring my car. One that services foreign cars reliably without charging an arm and a leg. There's a European service center on Western and Buck Jones... and I've heard good things about them... but they look kind of pricy. Many years ago, I used Tao Auto but Tom got too expensive and I started shopping around.

I don't mind paying a reasonable price for routine maintenance but I'm always leery about new places overcharging me because I'm a female customer. It always amazed them when I brought in my own air filter and saved $10.

I know from recent postings that many of you have older imports so I'm hoping you can recommend a local, honest, old fashioned mechanic who'll do a good job.

Thanks in advance,
Susan