internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Seriously condidering a Crackberry..

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "jeremy snyder" <halffinn AT hotmail.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Seriously condidering a Crackberry..
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 15:11:48 +0000

ok, i'm a blackberry user (and a windows user - although i'll probably be stoned on this list for admitting that)

my answers are below.

Ok, Blackberry users.. now that the lawsuit is behind RIM I'm considering a blackberry. I like the bluetooth models and I consider the

1. Can a bluethooth wireless keyboard be used to enter data (and bluetooth
mouse as well)?
(think folding bluetook keyboard like
http://www.thinkoutside.com/stowawaybt_product.html)

i can't answer that one. in theory, it's probably possible to connect them, because i know when i paired my 7290 with my headset, it was a generic pairing, meaning that any bluetooth device that could be paired should have been discovered.

2. what are the real costs of using a blackberry? Does "minutes" rack up
for sending e-mails, web browsing? If so what kind of plan does one need to
avoid costly "extra" minutes taken up by things other then phone
conversations?

basically all carriers offer an "unlimited" blackberry plan, which gives you unlimited email & web browsing. web browsing isn't great, but it's workable. it works much, much better on sites that have a mobile interface that is auto detected. it could be much better on the new one that cingular is offering that supports edge networks.

if you don't get the unlimited plan, then i think it's like 1 min/email. that adds up quick. the unlimited plan is definitely the better option.

3. I see that the blackberrys can be controlled and synched on the Mac, but
what about Linux? XP is a no-brainer I'm sure

can't speak to this one.

4. Has anyone synched a berry with *gasp*, *cough* Lotus Notes?

i haven't done it personally, but i know plenty of companies that do. it works. if you want the true blackberry push email & full integration into the lotus notes server (wireless sync of calendar, contacts from the corporate address list, etc), some carriers call this a "corporate" email service. i have t-mobile, and they charge $10/more per month for this.

as it is, i pay about $20/mo for the unlimited pop3 email & web plan.

jeremy