internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Triangle GTD meetup

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Triangle GTD meetup
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:41:33 -0500

John Broome wrote:
I've adoped the hipster pda, but I'm not really doing the whole GTD thing.

Plus, i've been a great fan of the Pilot G2 pens for a few years. :)

I've been using a wiki for my todo list for about 2 months
now and it's working very well. Yeah, it's probably
overkill for some people, and it's not as portable
as a notepad you can carry, but it works for me.

For anybody who's interested in doing something similar,
here's what I use:

1. Broadband from TWC (any broadband connection will
suffice)

2. a domain name from godaddy (your own domain is strictly
optional, but is kinda nice)

3. Dynamic DNS service from zoneedit.com. They provide
free dynamic dns for up to 5 domains, IIRC. Not required
if you happen to have a static IP address.

4. xwiki, an open-source wikiwiki clone written in Java.

5. JBoss, open-source application server, it runs the xwiki
software.

6. MySQL - open-source RDBMS, holds the xwiki data

7. CentOS Linux running on an old PC. Host the JBoss server
and MySQL database engine.

And that's it... set it all up, and from my home pc I goto
http://localhost/xwiki to edit & view things, from the
outside world I goto http://www.mydomain.com/xwiki. The
xwiki software does provide the ability to require a
username and password to login, so I feel OK exposing it to
the outside world. If I really cared about the data
involved, I could configure the whole thing to use SSL, but
I haven't bothered with that yet.

The only thing I really need now to make it all complete is
a wireless device of some sort (phone, pda, etc.) that has
'net connectivity and a browser and I'll be able to browse
and edit my todo-list from anywhere. :-)

TTYL,

Phil
--
North Carolina - First In Freedom

Free America - Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org

believed to be clean.

  • Re: [internetworkers] Triangle GTD meetup, Phillip Rhodes, 02/09/2006