internetworkers - [internetworkers] State Board of Elections Certification of Dielbold

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: Boba AT ncleg.net, Mickeym AT ncleg.net
  • Cc: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] State Board of Elections Certification of Dielbold
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 16:45:29 -0500

Senator Atwater,
Representative Michaux,

Good afternoon to you both. My name is Tanner Lovelace and
I am a constituent of yours from the 31st house and 18th senate
districts. I am writing to you today to express my concern over
recent actions of the NC state board of elections in certifying
Diebold Election Systems to sell voting equipment in our state.
I was very happy this summer when the state legislature passed
the "Public Confidence in Elections" bill that stated:

"Prior to certifying a voting system, the State Board of Elections
shall review, or designate an independent expert to review, all
source code made available by the vendor pursuant to this
section and certify only those voting systems compliant with
State and federal law. At a minimum, the State Board's review
shall include a review of security, application vulnerability,
application code, wireless security, security policy and processes,
security/privacy program management, technology infrastructure
and security controls, security organization and governance, and
operational effectiveness, as applicable to that voting system."
(from 163-165.7(c))

My concern is that until this past Monday, Diebold had attempted
to get a court injunction prohibiting the state from seeing the
source code for their voting systems. As a computer programmer
myself with over 10 years of experience, I find it extremely difficult
to believe that a "review of security, application vulnerability,
application code, wireless security, security policy and processes,
security/privacy program management, technology infrastructure
and security controls, security organization and governance, and
operational effectiveness" could have been conducted in four
days. Diebold has a history of problems with its voting machines
and an extensive analysis was done on their software two years
ago that identified multiple problems. (reference:
http://avirubin.com/vote/analysis/index.html ) As a North Carolina
voter, such a history of problems that the company has mainly
dismissed does not inspire "confidence" in me.

Therefore, I would like to bring this matter to your attention and
ask what can be done? The state board of elections does not
appear to be acting in the best interests of the voters of our state,
even after being directed by the bill our legislature recently passed.
How can the state board of elections be directed to follow the
law that has been passed? Any information would be greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely,
Tanner Lovelace
Durham, NC 27713