internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Where to buy digital certificate?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jason Tower <jason AT cerient.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Where to buy digital certificate?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:26:43 -0500

http://www.garykessler.net/library/crypto.html#ssl

Scott wrote:
On Nov 30, 2005, at 9:12 PM, Steven Champeon wrote:

on Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 09:01:40PM -0500, Tony Spencer wrote:

Hey Michael,
I'm a fan of Geotrust. I can also tell you that I learned the hard way and
bought a cheap comodo ssl cert some years ago and it was damn slow. I had
no idea at the time that a cert could slow down your site or even cause it
to timeout but now I fully understand why and I will always go for a better
more expensive cert.

I don't fully understand why such a thing could happen. Can you share
your full understanding of this important issue with the rest of us?

I would be curious about this as well. My only guess would be that a "cheap cert" might have to be resolved through several CAs before finding the Root CA would you cause the browser to do extra work on each SSL connection. I'm not even sure if this guess is sane.

If it is I would be curious to benchmark it to see how much you really could loose.

--
Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/