internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Where to buy digital certificate?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin Sonney <kevin AT sonney.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Where to buy digital certificate?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:49:17 -0500

On 11/30/05, Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com> wrote:
> on Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 01:58:24PM -0500, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
> > Where's the best (or cheapest) place to buy a certificate for a
> > domain? I'm moving to a dedicated server for the first time, and
> > thus need to purchase a certificate, where it was provided by the
> > hosting service before.
>
> You can either pay $15 or $130 for the same exact cert. I use Thawte for
> now, but next renewal I'm going with EV1.

I am going to offer a different suggestion : don't pay for a
certificate, use CACert (http://www.cacert.org). From their about page
:

CAcert.org is a community driven, Certificate Authority that issues
certificates to the public at large for free.

CAcert's goal is to promote awareness and education on computer
security through the use of encryption, specifically with the X.509
family of standards. We have compiled a document base that has helpful
hints and tips on setting up encryption with common software, and
general information about Public Key Infrastructures (PKI).

(more at http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=12)

--
-- Kevin Sonney
-- kevin AT sonney.com

You mean I've been hanging out with...A COMPUTER GEEK?!?!?!
- Quinn, Daria Season 4 : "Fire!"