internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] WRT54G version 5

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] WRT54G version 5
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:48:33 -0500

On Nov 30, 2005, at 8:56 AM, Greg Brown wrote:

Does anyone own one? Are they as bad as the net chatter is saying? I
would think they couldn't be "that bad", but maybe they are.
Generally the first release of a new or totally redesigned product can
be a bit buggy but from what I am reading you have to reset the v.5
units on a daily basis and QOS simply won't work.

The Linksys QOS algorithms are terrible. We tried it for the office to protect bandwidth for VOIP, and every time we did an upload not only did the phones not work, but *ALL* network traffic (other than the upload) was killed. And that was with the latest firmware.

We just switched to using Free BSD on an ancient computer for QOS bandwidth control and it works like a charm. I'm a firm believer in buying a tiny cheap box like Linksys for networking simply on the grounds of size & power consumption, but so far nothing works nearly as well.

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe. - J. Michael Straczynski