internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] windows laptop

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jason Tower <jason AT cerient.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] windows laptop
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:30:59 -0500

Steven Champeon wrote:
on Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 01:31:59PM -0500, Sarah Ovenall wrote:

I have a similar need: I need a PC for cross-browser checking of web pages. All it needs to have is Windows XP, a few internet browers, at least 1024 x 768 pixel display, and ethernet capability. I don't think I'll ever use it for anything else. I have been using a borrowed laptop but the owner needs it back. I'd like to keep using a laptop if possible because it takes up so little desk space.

I know nothing about PCs and I want to spend as little as possible. Any suggestions?

If you have a Mac, too, get a copy of VirtualPC; that way you can
install as many Windows OSes for testing ad you have disk space for, and
you don't have to worry about buying an immediately obsolete piece of
Wintel hardware. VPC is amazing, if slow; I've run everything from Win95
through W2K (various), WinXP, RedHat ES2, debian, freebsd, etc. under
it; when I was working on the Unix Power Tools book, I had something
like six different distros running at once on my old Powerbook.

even better is a linux machine with vmware (which runs nearly at host speed). i currently have VMs for w2k, xp, centos, openbsd, debian sarge, and two ubuntus on my laptop.