internetworkers - [internetworkers] Amiga users

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Amiga users
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 15:26:06 -0500

OK, today seems to be my day for being more talkative on the
Internetworkers list than usual.

A friend at work mentioned he was once an Amiga user and in fact still
had his Amiga 2000 all boxed up. I expressed an interest in it
(hoping to relive some of my glory days of 20 years ago when we had an
Amiga 1000) and he has delivered the thing to me. I am unsure of what
it has, etc. but am interested in getting it up and running. I have
used WinUAE on the PC to emulate the Amiga but I do not think it is
the same experience and would like to run a real Amiga. In addition I
feel there is something downright visceral about holding an old-school
joystick in one's hand.

Is there anyone on the list who is a skilled Amiga user (past or
present) that would be willing to communicate with me (on or offlist)
about how to get this Amiga 2000 up to a usable place in terms of
games and other things?

I envision buying a used ethernet card for the A2000 - I know they
make them and have seen them on Ebay and some used Amiga hardware
vendor sites - but I don't know what I need beyond that. I woudl then
probably try to find some of the games I really loved for the Amiga
and get them working.

I have seen images of many old Amiga games out there on the net, I
might even have collected some at one point to use with WinUAE and I
wonder if I can get an Ethernet card and TCP/IP stack up and running
on this A2000 if I can then write these images to floppies and play
the games.

If anyone could help me out, I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks,

Lyman Green

P.S. The games I remember from back then (again, this is with an Amiga
1000 back in erm '85 or '86 I believe): Sidewinder, Crystal Hammer
(awesome Arkanoid clone), Garrison (the best Gauntlet clone ever!)
Marble Madness, Seven Cities of Gold, The Bard's Tale and I think that
covers it.

--
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo.