internetworkers - [internetworkers] Do I need a tinfoil hat?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Do I need a tinfoil hat?
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:33:14 -0400

>From Slashdot

"A research team led by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) recently
broke the code behind tiny tracking dots that some color laser printers
secretly hide in every document. The U.S. Secret Service admitted that the
tracking information is part of a deal struck with selected color laser
printer manufacturers, ostensibly to identify counterfeiters. However, the
nature of the private information encoded in each document was not
previously known. "We've found that the dots from at least one line of
printers encode the date and time your document was printed, as well as the
serial number of the printer," said EFF Staff Technologist Seth David
Schoen."