internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Is It A "War On Terror" Or Not?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Boucher <trekkie AT nomorestars.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Is It A "War On Terror" Or Not?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 22:13:52 -0400

On Aug 9, 2005, at 3:27 PM, matusiak wrote:

Should we remove our troops or not?

Is this a good investment of $400 Billion dollars?

How's that tax break working out for you?

I was dead set against the war, thought it was bait & switch against the real terrorist problems and that it'd turn into one big ass recruiting ground for islamic extremists.

What a shock, I guessed right.

However, backing out, or setting a date to back out is absolutely a huge mistake. If we do that, we paint big ass targets on the armed forces over there and the terrorists are even further emboldened by defeating 'the great satan'

Our best option at this point is to continue to throw away a generation one life at a time until we can get them on their feet, and walk out. At great human cost both from the US and from the Iraqi's the jack asses in charge of 'strap a bomb to your dumb ass' army will alienate everyone, not just us over here on the other side of the planet.

Of course it's easy for me to think that since I'm not in the armed forces and I have not siblings/children in the armed forces that are there. But pulling out, or setting some arbitrary date to pull out is a huge mistake and does the people who've given their lives to this so far is a huge mistake.

The only example I have for this is Somalia. Black Hawk Down showed it to us in all glory, only to have us pull out a little while later solving nothing.

And that was a democrat in the office