internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Book suggestions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Linda Watson <linda AT lindawatson.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org, uzoma.nwosu AT gmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Book suggestions
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 19:56:12 -0400

One of the best books of the 1990s was "Cold Mountain," set in North Carolina during the Civil War. The locations span from Raleigh to the mountains. I usually shy away from Civil War books, but Cold Mountain is very relevant to our current situation with our stretched-thin military. The plotting and language are superb. (I haven't seen the film.) Here's an interview with the author:

http://www.salon.com/july97/colddiary970709.html

If you want something lighter ... and can get away with a mystery, try Margaret Maron's "The Bootlegger's Daughter." It's fiction, but I know several people who know the famous bootlegger who was the inspiration for the lead character's father and say the book rings true. It's the first in a mystery series.

Clyde Edgerton's "Raney" is a funny novel set in Eastern North Carolina among po' folk.

Kaye Gibbon's books are marvels of language and heartbreak, with some funny moments in between. They are short and delicious. Try "Ellen Foster" or "A Virtuous Woman."

If that's not enough, here are descriptions of more.

Enjoy! We're lucky to live in a place with so many great authors.

  • Re: [internetworkers] Book suggestions, Linda Watson, 07/02/2005